Launching of the Monitoring Report 2013

The National Food Policy Plan of Action (NFP PoA) and Country Investment Plan (CIP) Monitoring Report 2013 (MR 2013) was launched today, 15 July 2013, during a ceremony at the International Conference Center, CIRDAP, in Dhaka. The event was organized by the Ministry of Food of the Government of the People's Republic of Bangladesh with the support of the National Food Policy Capacity Strengthening Program (NFPCSP) of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations.
 
The Monitoring Report 2013, indicates that Bangladesh is becoming a more food secure, better nourished and healthier country, although challenges still remain for many people in terms of access to food in adequate quantity, quality, diversity and regularity. It also highlights that the budget to invest in agriculture and nutrition was scaled up to 9.8 billion USD (+1.6 USD billion in 2012 financial year). To cover this budget, 3.3 Billion USD were mobilized over the last 2 fiscal years. Cumulative delivery stands at 1.7 billion USD out of 6.2 billion USD financed (+1.7 USD billion in financial year 2012) . Of the total financed budget, the government contributed is 3.8 Billion USD (62%) and the remaining 2.4 Billion USD (38%) is the contribution of Development Partners.
 
The ceremony in CIRDAP was graced by Dr. Muhammad Abdur Razzaque, MP, Minister of Food (MoF) as Chief Guest. In his speech, the Minister praised Bangladesh's continuing progress in poverty reduction and socioeconomic development. In recognition of these achievements he highlighted how on the 16th of June 2013 Bangladesh received the UN Award for successful Fight against Hunger, from the hands of the Director General, FAO. Finally, he thanked "FAO for making all out efforts through the NFPCSP, and the European Union and USAID for providing financial support for its implementation", and committed the Government to " make best use of the recommendations of the Report in designing food interventions for achieving better food and nutritional security in the country".
 
Also present to the event were Mr. Mike Robson, FAO Representative in Bangladesh as Special Guest. Mr. Ciro Fiorillo, Chief Technical Advisor NFPCSP, and Mr Naser Farid, Director General FPMU, presented an overview of the Report.
 
The Monitoring Report 2013, was jointly produced by 17 partner ministries and divisions, coordinated by the Food Planning and Monitoring Unit (FPMU) of the Ministry of Food and Disaster Management with technical support from FAO under the National Food Policy Capacity Strengthening Program (NFPCSP) and financial support from EU and USAID.

Share this