Fertilizer marketing and distribution system, its impact on food grain production and household food security of the resource poor farmers

Research Grant Reports
Subtitle: 
[Final Report CF # 4/08]

Shortage supply of fertilizer during peak Boro season is now a common phenomenon. This study has reviewed fertilizer requirement estimation and fertilizer distribution system to improve the present marketing system with special emphasis to food security situation. Number of fertilizer Dealers in the Upazila was not sufficient to handle the fertilizer distribution at Union level. Farmers prefer to buy fertilizers in free market condition. It was revealed that 30 % were food deficit and the rest 70 % were food surplus HHs. Fertilizer use does not depend only on lowering of fertilizer prices but also on the cost of paddy production and its market prices. Per kg cost of Boro (2009) production (on variable cost basis) varied from tk. 8.25 - 11.7 while market prices of paddy ranged between tk 8.75 - 11.25. In such situation fertilizer use will not increase. This situation indicates that, though fertilizer is available in the market but farmers are not economically accessible to fertilizers. Some policy issues raised by stakeholders during FGDs were: maintenance of fertilizer buffer stocks at the beginning of peck Boro Season; fertilizer subsidy to farmers could be given on the basis of area cultivated rather than on fertilizer prices;  SAAOs should be released from fertilizer marketing activities and concentrate them only on extension package delivery services

Download documentSize
Fertilizer marketing and distribution system, its impact on food grain...2.48 MB
Date and language
May 2010
English
Personal Author
Vocabulary
Agris Subject Categories: 
Food policy
Agris Subject Categories: 
Food Security
Location
Classification Number: 
O-2010-26
Other information
Form: 
Printed resource
Form: 
Web resource

Share this